Monday, September 17, 2007

More window woes

I could kick myself for not starting a project that would have a more immediate payoff. Luckily, there is just one window out of the frame. That window is in the garage, now covered in more paint stripper.

Tonight, I broke 2 panes (out of 6)... Back up. I borrowed a heat gun from work after not having the type of success I'd anticipated with the stripper over the weekend. The heat gun works great for paint on long flat surfaces. In fact, the paint on the flat surfaces of the window came off in great big satisfying sheets. There is intricate detail in the muttons (the pieces holding in each of the 6 individual panes of glass) that I wanted to bring out. Layers and layers of paint were hiding the detail. Needless to say, the rest of the windows will stay hidden. I still intend to take them all out of their frames & reglaze them. Dry, cracked, 80 year old glaze (its a putty that seals the window into the sash and insulates) is not what I want to begin winter with.. Having thought this through a little more, I would probably have focussed my efforts into figuring out what is wrong with the furnace instead of starting on a monster project with such little obvious gratification.

Pictures.. pictures.. Soon, I think the 15 minutes is up for the chemical stripper going on right now - time to get messy again.

No comments: