Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Window pains


Make that 3 panes broken.. where is my voice of reason when I need it most?

On the plus side, its actually starting to look pretty good - besides.. how much can 3 - 12" square (ish) panes of glass cost? I got the name of a glass merchant from Rejuvenation Hardware on Sunday. Maybe tomorrow, when I wake up at 7am :) I'll give them a call.

I was going to post the pictures I took tonight of the "progress" - but as you'd guess, I can't find the cable to connect the camera at the moment.. What am I doing up at 3am? ?? Laundry, sipping port, & showering. That's what.

Tomorrow, I buy a Dremmel to get in the corners - or at the very least, a wire brush attachment for my drill.

I'm having second thoughts about repeating this process on every window in the house.. maybe I'll just make spot repairs on the glazing that is cracked and/or missing.. The paint is easy enough to strip on the outer face of the window with the heat gun.. repainting to get rid of the peeling weathered paint will make a humongous difference in the way they look.

Found the camera cord - time to go back and fill in some pictures.


Revised Procedure
Remove trim and/or stop to get sash out of frame


Using putty knife, hack out all old glaze
Strip old peeling paint with heat gun and putty knife
Replace any broken windows you might have created
Drink another beer
Add new glazing points (to hold window to sash)
Re-glaze
Re-hang
Probably do something about sash cords before this step.. figure out where for yourself, and then let me know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What fun to watch as the house improvements are made.
Mom